NIELIT Shillong (Formerly DOEACC Society, Shillong Centre) is the 12th centre of NIELIT in the country and 6th in the North East and became operational with courses/programs being offered since January'2010. NIELIT Shillong has been sponsored by the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY), Govt. of India (GOI) at a cost of Rs. 7.15 crores. The initial training facility of NIELIT Shillong has been commissioned from a rented space located at the 2nd Floor of the Meghalaya State Housing and Financing Co-operative Society Building, Behind - Bethany Hospital, Nongrim Hills, Shillong - 793 003. The 2nd floor of the building measuring about 8,250 square feet built up area is being taken on rent wherein academic activities of the centre are carried on. Currently, this facility is equipped with the state-of-the-art training equipments/facility like computer labs, classrooms, library & others. Qualified & trained faculty members have been inducted for the courses. NIELIT Shillong has been provided 10 Acres land by Government at Mawdiangdiang, New Shillong Township for its permanent campus which will be operationalised in due course of time. Permanent campus for an extension centre at Tura is also coming up at Chrerangre, Tura in West Garo HIlls District. Some of the DOEACC courses/programs being offered at NIELIT Shillong are-
Long Term courses:
- IT (Software)-O-Level (1 year duration)
- IT (Software)-A- Level (1 year duration)
- CHM (Hardware) O-Level (1 year duration)
- CHM (Hardware) A-Level (1 year duration)
- MAT (Multimedia Animation Technology) O-Level (1 year duration)
Short Term courses like:
- PC Hardware, Networking & Maintenance, Basic Computer Course (BCC), Course on Computer Concepts (CCC), ITES (Customer Care/BPO), Tally, Certificate course in Bioinformatics.
- The centre is also equipped to conduct customized short term training courses in the field of Information Technology to Officials of Central/State Government.
- The intake capacity for the courses at Sl. No. 1 to 4 above is 25 (twenty five) nos. per batch admitted every 6 (six) months (in January & July every year). The courses at Sl. No. 5 to 8 are of short term duration (2 1/2 to 3 months) for which the intake capacity is 25 (twenty five) per batch. The centre offers tuition fee exemption (free Tuition Fee) to SC/ST candidates enrolled in any course at the institute. The tuition fee charged to general candidates is amongst the lowest in the country. The training facility of NIELIT Shillong has an intake capacity of about 300 students at a time.The Centre has trained more than 7800 no. of trainees in various courses till date.
The Centre has redundant NKN 100 Mbps Fibre Optic & 2.0 Mbps Broadband Internet Connectivity. Students are provided Labs with a 1:1 computer ratio.
The Library was established in December 2009 along with the establishment of the Centre. The library holds 2500 volumes of books. The library also holds 100 approx CDs scattering through different thought contents. The library also holds current News Paper, e-papers etc.