National Institute of Electronics and Information Technology, Rupnagar Centre is coming up on 89 Kanals 7 Marlas of land (adjoining to the upcoming IIT, Rupnagar Campus) that was allotted free of cost by Government of Punjab at Village Bada Phull, Rupnagar in September 2012.
Subsequently, Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) approved a project titled “Construction of Permanent Campus of NIELIT Chandigarh at Ropar, Punjab” on this land under ‘Manpower Development Programme (including Skill Development in IT)’ with budgetary outlay of Rs. 8,426.00 lakh.
• To develop Human Resources at various levels including Certificate, Diploma, Graduate, Post Graduate and Research Professionals with adequate competence levels
• To launch Short Term / Long Term modular non-formal courses in selected areas of specialization
• To upgrade the competence of working professionals in Indian Industries
• To upgrade the knowledge and skills of faculty of technical institutions necessitated due to high obsolescence of this area
• Quality Control, Reliability evaluation and related techniques for IECT industries
• To promote affordable Electronics Design & Technology targeted towards rural / underdeveloped areas
• To make available Design Consultancy, Product Development & Technical Support Services of international standard to Indian industry
• To generate self employment, Entrepreneurship and setting of Electronics Industry
• To promote e-Learning mode of education
The construction of NIELIT’s permanent Campus in Rupnagar (adjacent to IIT Rupnagar), with state-of-the-art facilities, spread over 12 acres of land, is in full swing and is expected to be operational by October 2016.
Meanwhile, Rupnagar Administration has also allotted built-up space at Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Bhawan, Rupnagar for starting a small training facility at Rupnagar (till the permanent campus at Village Bada Phull becomes operational) for creating awareness amongst general public of this region as well as capacity building by promoting the use of computers and imparting computer education and professional services in the fields of Information, Electronics & Communications Technology (IECT) to various Government Departments of Rupnagar District. The centre was inaugurated on 7th April 2016 by Sh. Karnesh Sharma, Deputy Commissioner, Rupnagar in the august presence of Sh. Ashwini Kumar Sharma, Director General, NIELIT HQ.